TITLE: Application Engineer
REPORTS TO: Business Development Manager
DEPARTMENT: Business Development
LOCATION: Santa Clara, CA
The primary accountabilities for this position are to manage new designs in development processes. Responsibilities include all phases from receiving the customer’s files, project planning and design review, Flex part construction & material selection, oversight and coordination of manufacturing, test, and assembly processes and NPI build schedules.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Directly or through team members, the application engineer has the following responsibilities:
• Involvement at Early Supplier Involvement (ESI).
• Review Design documents. Interpret the customer’s requirements in accordance with MFLEX processes and capabilities. Propose deviations from initial customer requirements in order to ensure manufacturability at a profitable yield.
• Select proper material and prepare part construction per customer’s requirement for Flex fabrication
• Support Quote preparation activity including panelization, material selection and part construction, Bill of Material
• Communicate DR/DFM items with customers and factory and follow up to resolve open DR/DFM items
• File management
• Ensuring all preliminary data and information necessary from initiation through completion of the project. This includes electronic data (Gerber, DXF, AutoCAD, etc.), fabrication prints, quotation analysis, and preliminary correspondence with customers.
• Analyze the nature of the application, the special requirements, tolerances, materials and components, and decide optimum fabrication methods and process flow.
• Maintain close communication with customers during the design stages. Discuss design and process alternatives in order to improve quality and reduce cost.
• Work with customer and factory for project planning and scheduling for NPI builds
• Communicate Technical information and NPI build schedule to customer
• Meet customer as needed to explain Technical items and resolve open issues, build customer relationship
• Submit NPI build and Quality reports to customer per their requirement
• Involve in Quality issues, work with factory team for failure analysis and communicate to customer
• Responsible for managing and coordinating the production readiness process by:
a. optimum tool design (DFM) and implementation;
b. provide technical support during all prototype and pre-production stages;
c. track QC and yield reports
d. ensure all manufacturing requests are being processed quickly and with minimum impact on the schedule.
• Coordinate all life cycle activities associated with the project:
a. Test fixtures and programs – coordinate with test engineers
b. Assembly tools – coordinate with the assembly house and the responsible engineers
• Initiate and manage changes in procedures and manufacturing process.
• Check and approve design packages.
• Monitor cost data and ensure the quoted factors are met through production.
• Perform other duties and special projects as assigned.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND COMPETENCIES:
• Knowledge of AutoCAD and ECAM software applications.
• Ability to read component data sheets, electronic schematics and fabrication drawings.
• Ability to generate FPCB fabrication flow chart and BOM based on a customer supplied fabrication print.
• Position requires traveling (International travel 25%).
• Excellent organizational and time management skills.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Excellent client service skills.
• Microsoft Office suite of Applications. (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND/OR LICENSES:
• BSEE or equivalent experience
• 1 to 2 years of experience in FPCB design or/and manufacturing
• Proven ability to work effectively in an autonomous or team environment
• Preferred Bilingual (English and Chinese), not a must
• Experience in managing moderately complex projects including customer interface, design and manufacturing development, problem solving and on-going technical support.
• Position requires traveling 20% to 30% (Domestic and International)
Does this job have supervisory responsibilities? No
Are there subordinate supervisors reporting to this job? No
Are there employees reporting directly to this job? No
What is the total number of employees who report both directly AND indirectly to this job? None